Saturday, December 7, 2013

Feminism Poem

I am woman hear me roar, no hear me, I’m right here

Blood stains on the wall

I’m here is my presence worth nothing?  Does my assertiveness not scare you at all?

I am the gorgeous creation from our mother Eve, and I want to speak for the women here

We are not things for you confused individuals

We are not robots, and we don’t say “how high” if someone dare say the word “jump”

I think particularly of the young girls I encounter, confused of their worth

Disrespected, ill-treated, disregarded

Treatment they find okay? Is this the generation of today?

My mind spins, the surface murky please look at your sweet face

It glints back at you, an allusion of oculatory suspense

Understand that’s not how he should speak to you, dare him to hit you, and challenge him to respect you

You own the confidence of yourself; you are the holder of the master key that opens your pride, self-regard and dignity


These words flow from my mouth, extend to my keyboard and yet I still myself fail to take heed to the wisdom that spews from the inner consciousness of myself...

-Imani Seymour

No comments:

Post a Comment